It has been more than two years since the Lowry Hill East Historic District was nominated and approved by Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED). In the last week of February 2018 the historic signage was placed on the street corner boundaries. The first historic district recognition in the neighborhood showcases the largely intact core of single family housing that was constructed in Lowry Hill East primarily between 1890 and 1920.
Addresses: Portions of the 2400 block of Colfax Avenue South; the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Bryant Avenue South and Aldrich Avenue South; and 811 and 911 West 24th Street. Neighborhood: Lowry Hill East Construction Dates: circa 1882 - 1920 Contractors: Theron Potter Healy, Henry Ingham, and others Architects: William Kenyon, Edward S. Stebbins, William Channing Whitney, and others Architectural Styles: Colonial Revival, Queen Anne, Arts & Crafts, Prairie Historic Use:Residential Current Use: Residential Date of Local Designation: 2015 Date of National Designation: N/A Area of Significance: Streetcar related development, master architects, master builders, architecture Period of Significance: 1882 - 1920 Historic Profile: Within the Lowry Hill East neighborhood there is a remarkable and eclectic collection of turn of the 19th and 20th century residences along the 2300 and 2400 blocks of Aldrich, Bryant and Colfax Avenues South. This neighborhood was developed as a typical example of the “streetcar suburb” where urban development followed the expansion of public transit service. Houses within the district feature wood balloon-frame construction and the majority retain original horizontal siding and fenestration patterns, consisting of double-hung sashes and fixed windows. House heights generally range from two to two-and-one-half stories and were constructed primarily in the Colonial Revival or Queen Anne architectural styles. The Arts & Crafts and Prairie architectural styles are also represented. The streetscapes of the Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District are created by the interplay of high pitched rooflines, open balustrade front porches, and bay windows set alongside tree-lined boulevards. The collection of residences in this district developed due to the collaboration of talented local architects, builder-contractors, and the new middle and upper classes. Architects of the neighborhood included Downs & Eads, Warren B. Dunnell, William Kenyon, Long, Lamoreaux & Long, Edward Stebbins and William Channing Whitney. Theron P. Healy and Henry Ingham were among the neighborhood’s builders. As a whole, these intact resources possess physical characteristics that form a concentration of residential buildings with continuity of design and visual appearance through the use of similar setbacks, proportion, scale, material and use of ornamentation.
Lowry Hill East Neighborhood Association 2744 Lyndale Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55408 (612) 367-6468